Thursday, August 19, 2010

Totally online

Hi,
It was an interesting and edifying experience to learn totally online for the first time last semester. As an adult learner, I only thought of the convenience of learning online, while working full-time and balancing family life etc. But, what I found out was that it stretched my thinking in various directions. It also required so much self motivation to keep up with the readings, to participate in the online forums and to get accustomed to studying without the physical presence of a teacher, classmates or a classroom for that matter! One of the challenges of the online facilitator, is the greater pressure to gear courses to suit individual needs and expectations.
Regards,
Menaka

3 comments:

  1. Hello Menaka, Can I say that you are not alone...that there are many people out there who want to learn about online facilitation and are having the same experiences as you. The chalenge for you is to get out there and network with them :)

    Can I ask...what in particular do you want to learn during this course FO2010?

    cheers Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Menaka, I think that you are already one step ahead having participated as a student online immersed in the different learning that this experience uncovers and highlights.

    I have done many online courses in the last decade and the ones that engage me the most and motivate me to explore and innovate are those that are facilitated well. I need to feel that I am:

    a) part of a group of like minded travellers
    b) supported and valued by the facilitator
    c) able to manage my own learning preferences
    d) participating for personal improvements
    e) collaborating for greater networking

    Knowing that I would tend to model my own facilitation activities and skills around the similar needs of those in my own group.

    ReplyDelete